Saturday, September 29, 2007

As the baseball season winds down, I'd like to share some of my baseball thoughts.

* The MLB leader for strikeouts this year is Scott Kazmir, with 235. If anyone has designs on breaking Nolan Ryan's career record, they would have to get to the majors young, then for the next 21 years average 275 strikeouts.

* The NL lead for stolen bases will be around 80, the AL lead about 50. To catch Rickey Henderson, someone would have to steal 70 bases a year for 20 years. Raise your hand if you think Jose Reyes can repeat this year's 80 for another 16 years (Mike, you can put your hand down now...)

* The Yankees and Padres go to the playoffs with two future hall of famers in the closer role. Hoffman has 523 career save, Rivera 443. The next closest active player is Billy Wagner, almost 100 saves behind Rivera.

* The Yankees, for all their early woes, are playing nothing short of dominant baseball since Memorial Day. They have won 44 games by 5 runs or more, the most ever such wins in a single season in major league history. Since the All-star break they are 50-23, which over the course of a full season would be a record of 110-52.

3 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, my hand wasn't up. The way Reyes played down the stretch makes me not care much if he plays next year, much less for decades. (Although I do think he'll steal over 100 at least once, but have no doubt he won't get within sniffing distance of Henderson.) Maybe I'll get over it by the time Reyes retires, but right now I'd fire Willie and pretty much start the roster from scratch, with only David Wright surviving.

Mike

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger The leftist southpaw said...

You're crazy. Willie stays. He knows how to win. He does not commit 21 errors in 17 games down the stretch, and he does not come out of the 'pen to the tune of a 5+ ERA in September.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I already knew you thought I was crazy. But exactly how do you explain Willie's absolute and complete failiure to get his team to play with any spirit? And to show any himself after those losses beyond an "I lost my puppy dog" look. Not to mention his belated attempt to be a hard-ass with Reyes caused the kid to play even worse. I would blow the damn team up, and start with Randolph.

Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home