Monday, April 10, 2006

Sunday was a good day for lefties!

Phil Mickelson (who is actually right-handed) won his second Masters title with a masterful performance, playing bogey-free golf for the first 17 holes of the final round.



Since the start of the 2004 season, Phil has won three majors (two for Tiger, and no one else has more than one.) He became only the 8th player in the open era to win back-to-back majors. "Lefty" has now won a major in three straight calendar years, joining Tiger as the only player to accomplish this feat in the last 20 years. He hhas finished in the top 10 in seven of the last nine majors. Phil now holds more major titles than such golf greats as Greg Norman, Jose Maria Olazabal, Bernhard Langer, and Tom Kite. Thanks to Phil and Mike Weir, left-handed golfers have now won 3 of the last 4 Masters, and almost a third of the majors since the start of 2003.

He became the first player since 1988 to win the Masters after having also won the previous week on the PGA tour. He has finished in the top 10 of the Masters every year since 1999, a feat not even matched by Tiger. He has finished in the top 3 at the Masters five times in the last six years. His scoring average at Augusta is second only to Tiger on the all-time leaderboard.

Who's standing on the "wrong" side of the ball now?

8 Comments:

At 2:16 AM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Southpaw...you are in DC right? Have you ever heard of the Close Up Foundation?

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger The leftist southpaw said...

yes I have, and I see kids on the hill all the time from that and similar programs. Think it's a great idea- when I was 17 I came to DC for a week on a program called Washington Workshops, and I credit that week with starting me on a career path in policy.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Have you ever participated in their Domestic issue debates? They have them at night and invite a liberal and a conservative to debate domestic issues. The kids ask the questions and each person has two minutes to answer. It usually last about an hour and a half and is a total blast.

If you are interested, I know they are always looking for good debaters from both sides. I can get you the contact person. I do as many as I can when I'm in DC. Who knows, maybe when I get back to DC (looking like it will be either Feb or May of next year) we could debate in person for a change =)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger The leftist southpaw said...

sign me up.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

I tried emailing the person who booked speakers last fall but my email was bounced, so they must have a new person. If you give them a call...800-Close Up and ask for whoever books speakers for the domestic issues debates, I'm sure they can get you to the right person. They are probably winding down for the year, but should have a few more left. They do 3-4 a weeek, so plenty of opportunities to mix it up. Trust me, it is a blast and the kids are great.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Check out my latest post, "I'm Famous" It has a link to a promotional video about the Close Up program. You can also see what you are in for if we ever meet in a debate...lol.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger nerdyastronomer said...

ya know, you are too funny...and going back several days I saw your comment about Tony Snow on Cajun Tiger's blog...and I have to ask if you have seen Ian's blog lately...I think you would get a really big kick out of it...hahaha. Tony Snow...lmao.

As for the current post, which is really really old, btw, I was really please as well to see Mickelson win, not only because he's a lefty but because he's really good...I'm in a golfing family...and in response to the haiku...I can't even really make a comment...I was laughing for like twenty minutes...I'll have to write a response haiku...lol.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

See...at least my site has some value to lefties...ya'll get to meet other misguided peeps ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home