Thursday, September 15, 2005

"As you have been before our committee, I've tried to use my medical skills of observation of body language to ascertain your uncomfortableness and ill at ease with questions and responses. And I've honed that over about 23, 24 years. And the other thing that I believe is integrity is at the basis of what we want in judges. And I will tell you that I am very pleased, both in my observational capabilities as a physician to know that your answers have been honest and forthright as I watch the rest of your body respond to the stress that you're under." - Tom Coburn, to Judge Roberts.

Coburn is one of two physicians in the Senate. The other, Dr. Bill Frist, has a sterling record when it comes to applying his medical background to politics. On ABC's "This Week," he would not unequivocally state that tears and sweat cannot transmit the HIV virus, when it is a scientific fact they cannot. His keen observation of a videotape of Teri Schiavo led him to conclude that she was not in a persistent vegetative state. The autopsy concluded she was. So you'll forgive me if I'm a bit hesitant to believe doctors in the U.S. Senate when they make medical conclusions.

By the way, Tom, you do not have to be a doctor to know when someone is lying. As far as I know, my mother never went to med school.


Lots of us can read body language. For example:







Mr. Manning is saying, "We win! Yes! I'm so very happy!"

or this:




my brother-in-law is saying "Look how much I love my beautiful daughter. I'm so proud of her! Don't you wish your baby was this good-looking???"

or this:



Mr. Posada's body is saying, "Wow, that was close!"

or:




Mr. Giambi's body is saying, "Damn, I hit that far!!!

(all photos of the Yankees taken by the owner of this blog...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home